- This event has passed.
August 7, 2017 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm$100
What you learn from mowing with a scythe can indeed change your relationship to the land, and thereby your life. Technology (from the Greek root tekne, meaning art, craft or skill) shapes our work — and the world. The technology of the scythe demands a higher awareness of your body, the feel of sun or rain on your back, and the condition of grass and blade. All that awareness leads to kinds of knowledge that gas-powered tools can only destroy. Kiko Denzer, adapted from his forward to The Scything Handbook by Ian Miller
- learn how to assemble a scythe and customize it to your body
- learn how to perform the nearly-effortless mowing stroke
- learn how to hone the blade with a whetstone
- learn scythe safety
- learn how to mow in challenging situations such as around trees and near pavement
- learn the basics of peening
- learn how to make hay by hand
- learn how to harvest grains by hand
- learn and practice scything in the fields at Nana Cardoon
- share a delicious farm-fresh lunch around the table, and take home knowledge and friendships to last long into the future.
To register for class, or for more information, contact Charlene at 503-357-4992 or at email@example.com